Come and ascend Ben Nevis with us and develop your winter mountaineering skills along the way
Location: Fort William, Scotland
Price: £435 (includes VAT)
Length 3 days 2 nights
Who is this course for?
All people who want to ascend Ben Nevis during winter! In order to do this safely you will need to have some winter mountain skills. This three day course will give you the best opportunity to do this. Along the way we hope that we will show you how to have a good time in the mountains in winter!
The main topics that will be covered over the three days are:
- Appropriate selection of personal equipment and kit suitable for the season
- Personal movement on snow including kicking steps and using the ice axe effectively
- Use of crampons in ascent/ descent
- Emergency procedures including snow shelters
- Winter navigation
- A guided ascent of Ben Nevis using skills learnt
Please note that this is an outline of what will be covered; the programme is flexible and will take into account individual needs, aims and the weather.
- We meet in one of the outdoor shops in Fort William at 4pm
- Check kit and fit boots/ crampons
- Plan, prepare and get ready!
- Head off to your accommodation for the evening and settle in.
- Meet and briefing, then out onto the hills
- Movement on snow
- Use of the axe and crampon technique
- You will be out for about 6 hours during which time we may ascend/ descend about 700m
- Back to the hotel to rest and prepare for the big day out.
- Ascent of Ben Nevis
- Expect an 8 or 9 hour day on the mountain with an early start well before sunrise.
- 1345m ascent/ descent during the day. The route we choose will depend on the group and conditions on the day. It might be the knife edged CMD arete or it could be a quieter route up the mountain to the summit.
In addition, we will discuss snow packs and avalanches, the weather and how to plan a good day out in the hills.
You need to have been in the mountains before this at some stage. Also, we will be out for two full days in the hills in winter- it’s hard work and you need to be fit.
This is included in the course. We are based in Fort William and you will be staying in a Hotel with breakfast provided. Prices assume a twin double room. If you would like a single room please make note of this when you book, there is a single room supplement. You will need to supply your own lunch and supper each day.
Start time/ finish time
We meet at 1600 on day 1 and finish by 1800 on day 3. Once we receive your booking we will send you comprehensive information about when and where to meet, and the kit you need to bring.
We will provide you with B2 winter boots, crampons and an ice axe included with the course fee. You will need to provide your own clothing and we will give you a full kit list when you book. We meet in Ellis Brigham (next to the railway station and near your accommodation) at the start of the course which means that if you have forgotten anything they should be able to sort you out!
If you have specific questions then please do email or phone.