Location: Scotland, Glencoe
Length 2 days
Jan 19-20 full
Feb 23-24 full
Who is this course for?
This course is an introduction to winter walking, if you have summer mountain experience and want to explore the winter hills for the first time, or if you haven’t been out in the winter hills for some time and want to brush up on your skills.
It is designed to show you how to have a good time in the mountains in winter.
The main topics that will be covered are:
- Two full days of practical instruction outside in the hills
- Appropriate selection of personal equipment and kit suitable for the season
- Personal movement on snow including kicking steps and using the ice axe effectively
- Use of crampons in ascent/ descent
- Emergency procedures including snow shelters
- Winter navigation
- A winter journey using skills learnt
Please note that this is an outline of what will be covered; the programme is fairly flexible and will take into account individual needs, aims and the weather.
- Meet and kit check/ briefing, then out onto the hills
- Movement on snow
- Use of the axe
- Crampon technique ascent and descent
- Emergency snow shelters
- Ascent of a 1000m mountain and use of skills developed on day 1.
In addition, we will discuss snow packs and avalanches, the weather and how to plan a good day out in the hills.
You need to have been in the mountains before this at some stage. Also, we will be out for two full days in the hills in winter- it’s hard work and you need to be fit. You do not need to be a climber and you will not be entering ground that requires the use of a rope.
This is not included in the course. We are based in Glencoe and there are lots of options nearby on sites such as booking.com and hotels.com.
Start time/ finish time
We meet at 0830 on day 1 and finish by 1800 on day 2. Once we receive your booking we will send you comprehensive information about when and where to meet, and the kit you need to bring.
If you have specific questions then please do email or phone.