This is an ideal choice if you are aged between 16 and 25 and looking for a residential course. You will make new friends, develop your skills and discover new beautiful places in the mountains. You do not need to have completed a DofE expedition but you do need to have some basic hill walking experience and a reasonable level of fitness.
It may well be that you have completed an expedition carrying a big heavy ruck-sack. This course gives you the opportunity to develop your skills in the mountains without having to carry everything for the entire trip!
2022 dates and locations
We offer a choice of a 5 day residential courses. The courses will run with a minimum of 4 students.
31 May- 4 June Lake District full
11-15 July Lake District
18-22 July Lake District full 26-30 July Peak District full
1-5 August Lake District
The course price is £335. Please see below for the itinerary and what’s included.
Your highly experienced and qualified instructors will take you through the following elements during the course:
- Planning– how to plan a successful walk in the UK mountains
- Walking skills– things should you consider while out walking and what can make life easier (pace, nutrition, movement skills, steep ground etc.)
- Clothing and equipment– being suitably dressed and equipped can make the difference between a great day out and a complete disaster
- Weather– how it affects the mountains and your day out
- Navigation in the mountains– everything from selecting a compass and using a map to navigation in poor visibility and an intro to GPS
- Environmental knowledge– how to minimise your impact on the hill, information on good practice and useful organisations
- Hazards and emergency procedures– how to respond to any hazards you encounter and what to do in an emergency
- Wild camping skills and night navigation.
Please note that the itinerary is subject to the weather and conditions
You will be staying in tents on a camp site with toilets and shower facilities. We will also have event shelters to use if the weather is wet.
Food is included in the price of the residential course. We provide hot drinks, breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks through the day. If you have dietary requirements please let us know when you book so that we can make suitable arrangements for you.
The course price includes your food, camp site fees, a tent, stove/ fuel and a ruck sack that you may need to borrow. Alternatively, please do bring your own equipment which we are very happy for you to use, as long as it’s suitable. We will provide you with a much more detailed kit list of items we expect you to bring on the expedition.
To book yourself onto this residential course please complete the booking form here